I currently have the beginnings of a second book project, but am not formally engaged with a publisher to work on it.
Upcoming Talks & Conferences
- September 2013, St Louis — Emerging Languages 2013
Organizing the fourth year of this showcase for emerging programming languages. Hosted by Strange Loop, an annual conference that brings together the applied computer science community.
Previous Talks & Conferences
- November 2012, New York — Splitting up your web app
A tech talk at the offices of Paperless Post, drawing from experiences working with students at Hacker School.
- October 2012, Brooklyn — The perils and rewards of working on stuff that matters
A presentation to Brooklyn Beta.
- September 2012, St Louis — Emerging Languages 2012
Organizing the third year of this showcase for emerging programming languages. Now associated with Strange Loop, an annual conference that brings together the applied computer science community.
- April 2012, Philadelphia — Emerging Languages: A Tour of the Horizon
A keynote at the Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise
conference showcasing a number of interesting new programming languages while arguing for an open-minded, exploratory approach to language adoption.
- October 2011, Portland — Onward! 2011
Member of the program committee for this conference on the “multidisciplinarity of software development”.
- July 2011, Portland — Emerging Languages 2011
This time around, Emerging Languages operated as an official track at OSCON, which I chaired.
- December 2010, Portland — Building Teams and Selecting Technology
A presentation to the PDX Lean Startup Circle.
- July 2010, Portland — Emerging Languages Camp 2010
Organized the first annual gathering of programming language innovators with a focus on relatively new languages and techniques.
- May 2010, Portland — Scala at Twitter
A presentation to Portland Code Camp.
- April 2010, San Francisco — The Why and How of Scala at Twitter
A presentation to Chirp, the Official Twitter Developer Conference.
- April 2010, Philadelphia — Building Distributed Systems in Scala
A presentation to the Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise Conference
- February 2010, Miami — Speedy, Stable, and Secure: Better Web Applications Through Functional Languages
A presentation to the Future of Web Apps Conference.
- September 2009, Los Angeles — Twitter API 2.0: A View Into the Platform Roadmap
A presentation to 140: The Twitter Conference.
- May 2009, Mountain View — Keynote: The Business Value of Twitter
An address to 140: The Twitter Conference.
- April 2009, Palo Alto — The Interaction Design of APIs (video)
A presentation to Stanford’s Human-Computer Interaction Seminar.
- February 2009, San Francisco — The Twitter API
A presentation to Adobe Systems employees.
- February 2009, San Francisco — The Twitter API: Where’s It Going?
A presentation to the San Francisco Mobile 2.0 Meetup with Matt Sanford.
- October 2008, San Francisco — Twitter ♥ Scala
A presentation to the Bay Area Scala Enthusiasts with Steve Jenson and Robey Pointer.
- April 2008, San Francisco — Designing Your API
A presentation to the Web 2.0 Expo with Mike Migurski.
- March 2008, Austin — Twitter at BarCamp
A presentation to BarCamp Austin with Blaine Cook and Ben Fullerton.